BRIEF HISTORY

The Attorney General’s Department came into being in 1877.  It first started as the office of the Judicial Assessor, who was the Principal Legal Advisor to the Executive Council established in 1850 for the administration of the Gold Coast Colony. Then with the promulgation of the first Supreme Court Ordinance in 1876, which provided the framework for the administration of justice in the Colony;  the office of the Judicial Assessor was abolished and replaced with the Queen’s Advocate Office.

In 1950, the Queen’s Advocate Office was also abolished and replaced with the Attorney-General.  The title of the ‘Attorney-General’ continued to be used.  The head of the department was the ‘Attorney-General’.  The title... read more